Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Actress in Pete Hoekstra ad accused of racism and stereotypes issues an apology

link

The actress who starred in a political attack ad accused of promoting racial stereotypes has apologized.
Lisa Chan called her participation in the commercial “a mistake” on her Facebook page.
“I am deeply sorry for any pain that the character I portrayed brought to my communities,” Chan wrote.
In the 30-second spot, which aired during the Super Bowl and served as a campaign ad for GOP Senate hopeful Pete Hoekstra, Chan was seen riding a bicycle through a field of rice paddies, as ancient Chinese music played in the background.

“We take your jobs,” she told viewers in broken English.
The ad was attacking Hoekstra’s opponent and incumbent, Sen. Debbie Stabenow, for spending and borrowing money from China.
It sparked a media firestorm and drew criticism from fellow politicians as well as Asian-American groups, who said the ad promoted anti-Asian stereotypes.
This is what prompted Chan to issue an apology, which was first reported by the blog Angry Asian Man.
“As a recent college grad who has spent time working to improve communities and empower those without a voice, this role is not in any way representative of who I am,” she wrote on Facebook.
“It was absolutely a mistake on my part and one that, over time, I hope can be forgiven. I feel horrible about my participation and I am determined to resolve my actions.”
Despite Chan’s regrets, Hoekstra had stood by his decision to run the ad.

“The only group of people that this ad is ‘anti’ — it’s anti-Debbie Stabenow, it’s anti-Barack Obama, the spending policies of the liberal left,” he told Fox News.
“There’s nothing in here that has a racial tint at all.”

No comments:

Post a Comment