Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Harmony Korine's Weird, Racist Ad for Fashion Designer Proenza Schouler

source



This short-film ad spot for designer Proenza Schouler is probably the most racist, disturbing, and bizarre thing I’ve seen in a long time.
Designers Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough took a trip through the southwest and came up with their fall line of clothing inspired, apparently, by Native Americans they had seen on the road.
Then they asked indie-filmmaker Harmony Korine – of Kids fame - to produce a short film promoting the new designs, and Korine came up with this:

Maybe it’s just me – maybe I just don’t get pretentious art-house avant garde indie films or something, but the whole thing creeps me out. I know a lot of Native Americans, and I would feel really uncomfortable watching this with them – I feel uncomfortable watching this anyways, and would even without the blatant racism.
This is the opposite of advertising. Not sure what you call it when a company sets out to chase customers away, but whatever it’s called this is it.





No comments:

Post a Comment