Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fashion designer accusing Nicki Minaj(who has a horrible singing voice) of copying her style

source


When Nicki Minaj was pictured in an eye-catching multicoloured pom-pom top on Monday, she predictably sent camera flashbulbs popping.
But the look has become the subject of controversy after a young designer claimed the star's look was a 'blatant copy' of her own creations.
Jessica Rogers, 21, says she was in tears after seeing pictures of the hip hop artist, who wore the garment to the Carolina Herrera show at New York Fashion Week.

She told Fashionista.com that she has been producing her 'puffball' garments for the past three years, under the brand name SomedayNewYorker.
Miss Rogers claimed that she had even been approached by Miss Minaj's stylists in the past, and eagerly sent images of her work in the hope of some celebrity endorsement for her label.

But, she says, she heard nothing back, despite attempts to follow-up several times.
She told the site: 'When I saw the photos [of Nicki Minaj at Carolina Herrera] I was in tears.

'I've worked very hard to make my dream of being a fashion designer come true.

'I have built contacts with Teen Vogue, Gaga, Katy Perry, and Marina and the Diamonds has worn my garments.
'I feel like everything has crumbled down.'
She added that she confronted the stylist after seeing Miss Minaj in the alleged copycat design, but despite trying to 'take a bad situation and turn it into a good situation' by offering a proper SomedayNewYorker garment for the star to wear, her efforts fell on deaf ears.
Recalling her conversation with the contact, she said: 'I ended up getting a call from the woman whom I will not name and she said she wasn’t [Nicki Minaj's] stylist anymore.
'Then [she] started yelling at me, harassing me, and telling me that its a small community and I better watch what I say.
'I believe that she called me instead of emailed me because she did not want to have written proof that she had yelled and harassed me.'
Miss Rogers told Fashionista that she knew her work had been plagiarised because Miss Minaj had described her top using the term 'Puff Balls' - a turn of phrase she believes she coined.
She added: 'Many independent as well large scale designers go through this. Copying another designers work is wrong. It should not be stood for.'

Jessica Rogers

Nicki Minaj

No comments:

Post a Comment